Saturday, September 6, 2008

The Beginning

What to say about the last two weeks?... Well I am officially in college. As some could say college is upon me. Either way you look at it alot has happened in the last two weeks. This blog will take you on a special journey as I write about my "Appalachian Encounter", this blog is for my family, friends, and anybody else who wants a glimpse in a college experience. Most importantly though, this blog is for me, to write whatever I feel like and generally have fun. With the preliminary information out of the way.. lets embark.

Move in day was the 22nd of August. It was an uneventful day and move-in went smoothly. The day flew by and before I knew it I was sitting in my new home with my family heading back to Raleigh.

I am happy with the way my dorm turned out.





Due to some reports of disbelief that my room is actually this clean, I would like to say that my room has stayed this clean (give or take a notebook, shirt, and some dirt)

So what have I thought so far of my college experience?

Overall pretty spiffy. I must say I had no idea how prominent smoking and alcohol usage was among college age students. I sure know now. I was surprised to hear stories of people going out and getting "hammered" the very first night they arrived. Apparently they wanted to make the most out of the their college experience and didn't want to waste a single evening. I just have to say that I am a very nice and caring person, but I will have no sympathy when they fail their classes and end up being homeless, fat, and ugly because they never go to class :).

Anyways, I am taking 5 classes this semester totaling 17 hours.
  • Expository Writing
  • Calculus 1
  • Computer Science 1
  • Freshman Seminar
  • Discrete Mathematics
My hardest classes as of yet are Expository Writing and Calculus 1. The hardships that come from my wonderful Expository Writing class is largely due to the work load graciously given to my class(I had to turn in a six page draft of a paper 6 days after classes started!). Then there are my bit of a problem with Calculus that is slightly related to the fact that I am rusty and somehow have seemed to forget everything I ever learned regarding math.(seriously. everything.)

Now my writing class has been tough, but at the some time it has been a neat blessing in a special sort of way. Coming into college I really had no idea how I would be accepted, especially once people find out I Christian and I don't party(OMG!). Anywho, as I mentioned before, I had to turn in a six page draft of a paper within the first week of class. Luckily the topic of the paper was "Me - And the things that have made me who I am" (not exactly, but that best sums it up) So, I wrote six pages and afterward I was reading it and realized that it possibly could have too much Jesus in it for a college paper! I mean my mind was thinking that possibly my teachers or peers would read it and think that i am retarded or something for not having a properly opened mind to the world! Oh yes, those thoughts went through my mind... Luckily, I also have something else that raced through my mind: 2 Timothy 1:8-12

"So do not be ashamed to testify about our Lord, or ashamed of me his prisoner. But join with me in suffering for the gospel, by the power of God, who has saved us and called us to a holy life—not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time, but it has now been revealed through the appearing of our Savior, Christ Jesus, who has destroyed death and has brought life and immortality to light through the gospel. And of this gospel I was appointed a herald and an apostle and a teacher. That is why I am suffering as I am. Yet I am not ashamed, because I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him for that day.
"

In nut shell, I became pretty excited about my paper and was more then willing to turn it in! Now the story continues, the day we turn in the paper we were also "Workshopping", meaning each student was put in a group with three other students and you would read each other your paper so your peers could have the oppurtunity to make comments. My turn eventually came and with a deep breath I read my paper. What was the horrible reaction?! Well it was just to horrible to tell.....(kids yelling "nooo", "tellll usss"), ok, ok, I will, lol, my group told me I was a really really good writer and my paper was cool :D.

See, most of you are like, OK, this story is over now, but no it isnt!!! We had to give each student in our workshop group a copy of our to take home and write comments on, I received one of my copies back with this remark...

"...I personally found it interesting how you turned to religion why you faced adversity. Wd don't really see that too often now a days."

Talk about a totally awesome encouragement.

Here is a link to my paper. Its a draft, so find beauty in the rough edges.

Ok, well this has been a long blog, I hope you enjoyed, more will come soon because I have plenty more to write. I miss all you guys back home, looking forward to making a weekend visit in the near future, and am excited about my next four years at Appalachian State University.

This is Eric Herbert, telling you farewell and to stay spiffy.

2 comments:

Beth said...

You are an awesome and amazing person, and I'm proud to be your mom.

Anonymous said...

That's awesome! While we worry about "staying strong", I think we find that when we do, we're not alone at all (besides Jesus, I mean!).
Mrs. Wright